I am always on the lookout for quick and easy recipes. So when I came across this Beef Tortilla Casserole, right on the back of an Old El Paso Enchilada Dinner Kit, I added it to my dinner list immediately.
The spice in this recipe is mild, so with many Mexican dishes, we added hot sauce to amp it up a notch.
Beef Tortilla Casserole
- 1 lb. lean (at least 80%) ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 box Old El Paso® enchilada dinner kit
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso® chopped green chiles (or jalapenos-your choice)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese (4 oz)
Red Bell Pepper, Cilantro, Olives, Cheddar Cheese instead of Mexican Cheese
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In 10-inch skillet, cook beef and onion, stirring occasionally, until beef is thoroughly cooked; drain.
3. Once meat is drained, return back to 10-inch skillet and stir in pouches of the enchilada sauce (from the dinner kit), the seasoning mix (from the dinner kit), water and chiles; heat until hot.
4. Using an ungreased 11 x 17-inch baking dish spread 1 cup of the beef mixture. Cut tortillas (from the dinner kit) in half. Spread tortillas with a thin layer of sour cream, and place 6 tortilla halves on beef. Top with 1/2 cup of cheese, 1 cup of the beef mixture and remaining 6 tortilla halves that you topped with sour cream. Finish off by adding the remaining beef mixture and top with the remaining cheese.
5. Bake 30 minutes.
Once baked, if desired, serve with more sour cream, diced red bell pepper and chopped fresh cilantro. I served mine with Old El Paso Spanish Rice as our side dish. The flavors in the rice complimented this casserole perfectly.
How did you and your family like this recipe? Did you add or change any ingredients?
If you liked this Article, Feel Free to Share it: